Monday, April 4, 2011

Monday Quotations

4/4/11.

"There are elements which, if added to one's experience, make life better; there are other elements which added to one's experience, make life worse. But what remains when these are set aside is not merely neutral:  it is emphatically positive...The additional positive weight is supplied by experience itself, rather than by any of its contents."

--- Thomas Nagel (1937 -   )


"'I think, therefore I am' is the statement of an intellectual who underrates toothaches. 'I feel, therefore I am' is a truth much more universally valid, and it applies to everything that's alive."

--- Milan Kundera (1929 -  )


"Happy the hare at morning, for she cannot read
The Hunter's waking thoughts.
Lucky the leaf
Unable to predict the fall."

--- W. H. Auden (1907 - 1973)

"When we reflect on the shortness and uncertainty of life, how despicable seem all our pursuits of happiness? And even, if we would extend our concern beyond our own life, how frivolous appear our most enlarged and generous projects...hurried away by time, lost in the immense ocean of matter."

--- David Hume (1711 - 1776)


"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve immortality through not dying. I don't want to live on in the hearts of my countrymen; I want to live on in my apartment."

--- Woody Allen (1935   )

No comments: