Monday, September 8, 2008

Monday Quotations

9/8/08.

When in doubt, tell the truth.

--- Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)


A few years after I began teaching, it occurred to me that being a teacher - not being a student - provides the best education. "To teach is to learn twice," wrote Joubert, in a simple-sounding maxim that could have several different meanings. It could mean that one first learns when getting up the material one is about to teach and then tests and relearns it in the actual teaching. It could mean that being a teacher offers one a fine chance of a second draft of one's inevitable inadequate initial education. It could mean that learning, like certain kinds of love, is better the second time around. It could mean that we are not ready for education, at any rate of the kind that leads to wisdom, until we are sixty, or seventy, or beyond. I favor this last interpretation, for it accounts for the strange feeling that I have had every year of my adult life, which is that only twelve months ago I was really quite stupid.

--- Joseph Epstein (1937 - )


A liberal is someone too broadminded to take his own side in an argument.

--- Robert Frost (1874 - 1963)

No comments: